Thursday, April 29, 2010

Digital Reference DR-CX1 (Audio Technica AT2020)

The Digital Reference DR-CX1 is a side-address, phantom powered studio condenser microphone made in China.  It is identical to the Audio Technica AT2020.  The specifications for the Audio Techinca AT2020 can be found here:

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/a0933a662b5ed0e2/index.html

The DR-CX1 feels quite solid in construction.  It has a hefty feel without being so heavy that it would overtax a table mounted scissor microphone stand.

I tested this microphone on a Sohmer upright piano and was very surprised at the overall smoothness of its response across the entire range of the piano.  It rendered a very faithful reproduction of the general sound of the instrument without favoring any particular range of frequencies.  The published response curve shows a very flat response, which bears out the result of my listening tests.

On voice, the DR-CX1 exhibited much less proximity effect than many of the other condenser microphones I’ve reviewed here.  For speakers with deep, boomy voices, the DR-CX1 (Audio Technica AT2020) would be a good choice for a broadcast or podcast microphone.

I’ve not tested this microphone on horns yet, but my initial recording tests on piano indicate that this microphone would likely work well on a variety of wind and string instruments.

8 comments:

  1. yes this mic works well in most situations,,ive used it on a solo trumpet progect, the player is a very tonal valve player and this mic really sounded warm and smooth through a wide range of tones and volumes the trumpet was producing in the mic. mike paisley; sudio engineer and producer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear of the results you obtained with trumpet. It confirms my assessment. If one doesn't mind the absence of the Audio-Technica brand name, this microphone is an excellent value on the used market.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent vocal mic has a unique response but for the money it has a very warm and smooth tone as long as you are in close proximity. Have to agree that it's low end response is wonderful for deep vocals. At about 20 cm it works well for shakers and various percussive toys as well. As a producer it is easily shape able. My 2 cents, never look at the name or cost...listen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW kicked butt on a Flugelhorn solo (back side 40 degrees, 60 cm)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder how good would be on vocals, and guitars....

    im about to get one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not personally tested this microphone on vocals or guitar; however, I would surmise that it would do well on vocals, depending on what kind of voice is being recorded and what kind of coloration (if any) you're hoping for. I can only speculate how this mic would perform on guitar. If you're looking for a smooth and pleasing sound on acoustic guitar, I suspect the DR-CX1/AT2020 would do well. The good news is these mics are inexpensive so it's worth taking the shot and see how one sounds.

      Delete
  6. The AT2020 ia only $62.87 on Amazon. (April 10, 2013). It is one I am considering along with the 2035, and MXL 990.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got one these DR-CX1 mics free when I purchased the MXL 990/991 package at a Sam Ash store in the Nashville area back around 2006 or so. When I got home I decided to get out all my mics and do a comparison. I was immediately impressed by how this sounded. I couldn't believe it! It sounded every bit as good as all the others I had paid for. Here are the one's I tested at that time. Keep in mind I was on a budget back then. MXL 2001, MXL 990/991, Shure Beta 87A, can't remember if I had anything else at that time or not. The DR-CX1 was up at the top and I could hardly believe it. The MXL 990 was a tie, but later it crapped out on me, so the DR-CX1 wins!

    ReplyDelete