Saturday, January 23, 2010

TNC Audio ACM-4

The TNC Audio ACM-4 ribbon microphone sports a short, dual-ribbon design and is a rebadged ShuaiYin SYR50. It’s exactly the same mic as the Apex 215 and the Alctron HRM-14B.

Ribbon microphones have a very low signal output and the dual-ribbon design of this microphone helps boost its output and sensitivity. When I compared the ACM-4 side-by-side with the ACM-1 and the NADY RSM-4, the ACM-4 definitely produced a noticeably higher output than the others. It also had a slightly brighter response in the upper frequencies; however, it was in no way “edgy” or harsh. In fact, the ACM-4 seemed to have the most balanced frequency response of all the ribbon mics I’ve tested so far. I would still prefer to use the ACM-1 long ribbon mic for baritone sax and low brass; however, if I were going to record flute or piccolo, the ACM-4 would be my choice.

I must admit to a bit of a bias toward ribbon microphones for horns, particularly trumpets. A good ribbon mic can take the brassy edge off a loud, screaming trumpet section in a jazz ensemble and give it just the right timbre in the mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment